Modifying an existing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services report takes more than just opening the .rdl file. If you attempt to open the .rdl file with Visual Studio 2005, you will see the XML structure of the report but you will not be able to make changes to the layout the report.
To open an existing SQL Report for modification, perform the following steps:
- Open Visual Studio 2005.
- Choose to create a new report project from the file menu by clicking New>Project...
- Choose Report Server Project as the project type.
- Choose Existing item from the Project menu. Locate your existing .rdl file.
- The report will now appear under the Reports folder in the Solution Explorer window of Visual Studio.
- Double-click the report to view it.
- Make any necessary changes.
NOTE: The report dataset may need to have its data source information updated to be able to preview your reports. Review the SQL Server Reporting Services Documentation for more information.